Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Starting over

There's a line from the indie pop band Ivy that says, "at the edge of the ocean we can start over again." It's been that way for me, returning to the surrogate natal landscape of the Oregon coast. Of all the wild and amazing places I've gone in my life, I've come back again and again to my aunt's house in Lincoln City. It's a landscape where the ocean is relentless, the cold intensity of the water, the tension of sand underfoot, the roll of fog and clouds as they run into the headlands. It's been a long journey over these last months and I'm here standing and staring, toeing the starting line on the rest of my life. I've come to the edge of the ocean to start over.

 The curvature, down the 500 foot drop from Cape Foulweather

 The ocean crush at Devil's Punchbowl

North to Otter Crest

No comments: